Last night I headed to the gym to exercise with a friend. I got there a little before she did, got some towels, then hopped on the elliptical. Next thing I see is a beautiful little girl with DS strutting in like she owned the place! I started grinning ear to ear. She was beautiful. Her mom and sister walked behind her and I tried to get their attention. I was smiling and looking at her as they walked past. Then I thought, if they see me now they will probably think I am creepy.
So they walk back to the back of the gym to where the older kids play while us moms and dads workout. I saw them back there, jumped off my elliptical and ran to catch up with them. Yup thats right folks, I got a bit crazy and had to talk to them.
I ran up to them and with a lump in my throat and almost tears in my eyes(I was so scared) I blurted out "YOUR DAUGHTER HAS DS!" Yeah, not my finest moment. It was either that or stand there speechless. She must not have heard me because she looked at me confused and said what?? In that moment I thought, "Crap! I was mistaken." I repeated myself in a different way and we started talking.
I told her we were in the adoption process for a boy with DS. We were talking and I mentioned the Ukraine or Bulgaria or Russia and the mental institution and she started crying. Im so tactful, sigh. It was at the time I had her in tears when my friend showed up. She had this look on her face like whats up. Then when the woman told her I had her crying after I said she has a daughter with DS, well..then my friend got this look of horror on her face like "OMG what have you done!"
It turned out ok though. Long story short my friend needed a bilingual mentor at the hospital she works at and this mom would be perfect! We all exchanged numbers and tomorrow night my gals have a playdate at the gym with her daughter. Im so excited! I hope this develops into a beautiful friendship.
Be blessed
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.