Micah's foster mom and I were talking and she was telling me about the bio family. She said the gramma ask her if he would out grow his down syndrome and she said she cant guarantee it. She ask if he was going to be retarded forever. She couldnt guarantee that either. Then the gramma never was heard from again.
Oh my.
I wonder if I will ever be ask that question? I was ask that about Noah and said "No you cant outgrow your genes" The thing is the foster mom wasnt joking. Bless her heart.
Have any of you been ask something like that? What were your responses. Do you go with educational, funny, rude?
Be blessed
I get lots of comments like that about autism. Our 4 year old has it and is largely non-verbal, but extremely intelligent. We've been told that his autism diagnosis is "just an excuse for bad parenting" and he "just needs a good a#$ whipping... then he'll mind!". Ugghhh.. then there are the "oh you poor dear" comments directed at me. As if my son were a burden or a curse! He's just the opposite... a blessing.
ReplyDeleteThat happened to me not too long ago. We had new neighbors move in and they came over to introduce themselves. After some small talk I explained that Rhett has Down syndrome. Her response was, "Oh, we knew somebody with a kid with that, they changed her diet and she grew out of it." I was taken aback at first and politely said, "well, he won't be growing out of it any time soon." I might have laughed a little bit as well, I wasn't trying to be like that, but it made me laugh! I think it all depends on the way they come across. My neighbors were simply uneducated, and now they know a little bit more about Ds.
ReplyDeleteI would be tempted to say something like "Well, since Down Syndrome is caused by an extra gene, I'm sure he'll be outgrowing his Down Syndrome around the same time I outgrow my blonde hair/being female/etc". LOL.
ReplyDelete