Saturday, October 6, 2012

Toothaches

I have a problem. For as long as I can remember I have had horrible teeth. I don't really recall even being to the dentist while growing up. We never really went to the doctor so I am sure we didnt do the dentist. That money or time was better spent at a bar somewhere.  So as an adult I am paying for it.

We went a long time without insurance and even when we had insurance I didnt really go to the dentist because nothing hurt so why go? Right? Then I started having the worlds worst toothaches. Man did they hurt. I would go to the dentist get an Rx and if we had insurance I would get it fixed if not I would make due. At one point I had to have all my wisdom teeth pulled plus two more. One was in the front. They gave me a flipper. I was told to only wear it during the day and take it out at night. Well, after a while it became loose. When I ate it would often fall out and get caught up in the food I was chewing so I would have to spit everything out and clean off the flipper and try again.

Then there was this one dentist. I went to her and had several broken teeth. She told me I had to have them removed there was no way to fix them. I told her I didnt want them taken out with out putting something in. She took out my flipper and noticed that the entire area that the flipper covered looked like raw meat and was all infected. I couldnt wear it anymore. I was devastated. She told me if I let her pull the teeth then I could come back and get the partial. So we did it. 2 more teeth gone. I think the count is now up to what 7 or 8 teeth missing at this point.

It was horrible. I hated feeling that way and having a bloody gauze filled mouth, which as it happens I have a phobia of. Yep. Fear of cotton balls or gauze. Oh gag. I cant even write about it. It is an absolute irrational fear I know this, yet somehow my body does not.

Well it was finally time to go back. I did. She then tells me that she wouldnt feel right giving me the flipper (that I was paying for) until after about 4000.00 more dollars worth the work. I left there in tears.

When my infection healed from the flipper I tried to put it back in but it didnt fit at all. My mouth must have shifted. So for the past 3 years I have not smiled with my mouth open. Every single time I smile I am self conscience. Ont time early on I did smile and someone said "Oh wow what happened to your teeth?" Well that sealed the deal.

No matter what I am going through, adoption of a child, daughters achievements, vow renewal  you name it I do not smile and I am painfully aware the whole time and conscientiously remembering not to open my mouth. It sucks but it could be worse.

Lately I have had yet another infection. This time it went to my lymph nodes. The one in my throat and under my tongue. It hurts every time I move my tongue. I went to the dentist got the rx and felt better. Then as soon as I was done with the antibiotic the pain was back. Before when this happened it would be at least a few months or more before the pain came back. Usually I could go a year.

As I write this I am having the worst pain. It feels like I could pass out from the pain. I dont know what to do but I know who holds my future. He tells me to not be afraid he will take care of me. I am not going to worry about this. I dont have 12000.00 to fox my teeth. (That was the estimate from the dr.) 1155.00 was the root canal and our insurance pays 0! Well cant do that either.

If you would please pray for God's provision in this matter. Its hard to enjoy anything right now because of all the pain and I just want to smile again..with my whole mouth.

Be blessed

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel your pain !! I have terrible teeth, too, and hate dentists. Haven't been to one in about 9 years :( I assume you have an abscessed tooth - you have to get antibiotics, or it could get really nasty. If it's under/near a bad tooth, it will keep coming back until the tooth is gone or you've had it fixed. But you already know that :) Please take care of yourself - take as may advil/tylenol as you can - though I know they don't help much. Go to the ER if you have to !!

    ReplyDelete


  2. I urge you to find a dental school in your area. They may be able to help you with costs.

    Also try this link

    http://www.dentistryfromtheheart.org/
    These people are amazing. They have events in 49 states. I got a filling last weekend from this organization. You have to get there very early because it is first come first served only 100 people get seen. I got there at 1am and was #27 in line. Next time I will stay the entire night and actually camp there. It is more than worth the time. I hope this information helps you. I had a toothache like you have at the beginning of September and I still have a lump near my collar bone and my lymph nodes are still very painful. I truly understand the pain your are in. If it gets too bad got to the ER and ask for a dental block it is totally worth it for a few hrs of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just reading your post I thought I had written it. I have about 10 teeth missing 4 broken off and like you I can't open my mouth when I talk. I am deathly afraid of the dentist because the one time I was sent to the dentist when I Was about 11 he spanked me for crying and being scared. Last weekend was our 50th. anniversary. Our children had a photographer taking about 500 pictures and at least one showed me caught with my mouth open. What an awful picture (yellow teeth, teeth missing and broken off.) Mine haven't hurt in a long time. I know I need to get them fixed..but I am scared. The sick to my stomach kind of fear.
    I am the one who wrote you several months ago and told you I live in NRH across Rufe Snow on Greenleaf. I read all you write and tonight as I read I thought, "wow we have something in common". If you ever find a good dentist would you please let me know. I know this is an unusual comment to send someone but you wrote about "me" and I had to tell you that their is someone out there with the same problem as you.
    Hopefully we will get to your supper and I can meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! Yes Dottie please come to the dinner. I would love to meet you. You know it is that one picture that gets etched in our mind huh! No fair!

    Paul, TYSM!!!Looking into that now!

    Thanks Jenny. I dont know what it is but it is killing me!!

    Be blessed

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.