Welcome to October. It has to be my absolute favorite month. You have fall colors, fall food, halloween, my daughter's birthday, the Buddy Walk, pumpkins, caramel apples, hayrides, and DOWN SYNDROME AWARENESS!!!!
That is a lot packed into a little month.
So will I be blogging everyday....probably not. Doesn't mean I don't care, I just don't have the time.
What can I tell you on this first day of DS awareness??? Hmm... Well let's talk about first.
First person speech that is.
Now I have to be honest here. I have only been a mom to a child with down syndrome for about 7 weeks or so. I am still learning. We can learn together.
What I have noticed from the community is that parents with children with down syndrome appreciate first person speech. Instead of saying "I saw a downs child or down syndrome child" They would rather you put the person first for example, "I saw a child with down syndrome in the store today." Please try to refrain from talking about a person with down syndrome by calling them downs kids or DS kids or downy.
I have also learned that if you are sincere then whether or not you use the proper words parents are usually kind to you. They are generally eager to talk about their awesome kids and teach people about DS. Please dont be afraid to ask questions or tell us how gorgeous our kids are. I know I am an open book and would love another adult to talk to during the day. Just be nice, because I can turn from sweet lil southern bell to MAMA BEAR in a second when you attack my children. I think we are all like that though.
Anyways, try to use first person speech from here on out. It's ok if you didn't know before so you did it but now you know.
Be blessed
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.